Eye bank mainly deals with the collection, storage distribution of donor eyes for the intention of corneal grafting. The main function of the eye bank is:
- Collection of eyes from voluntary eye donors, after their death.
- Collection of eyes from departed persons when person’s relatives will accept to donate the eyes as a service to the humanity.
- After procuring, there will be next step called processing and storage of the eyes.
- Maintaining the various media for corneal storage
- Distribution of the Corneal tissues.
- Training eye bank technicians.
- Promoting public relation activities
These eyes are processed by the eye bank & are supplied to the eye surgeons for corneal grafting and other sight restoring operations.